5800 Guelph Main Line, Burlington, ON L7P 0A7
About the site:
The Lowville name developed naturally, as it is the lowest point on the road between Guelph and Lake Ontario along the Twelve-Mile Creek. One of the first settlers, Rev. Daniel Picket was an American who purchased 200 acres of land and settled in 1822. Many other families came and stayed in this thriving community until the railway decided to bypass the area which signaled the beginning of the end of its commercial enterprises. Today, Lowville United Church, built in 1872 still stands and is a reminder of the faith of its forefathers. Its simple but spacious interior is a fine example of mid-Victorian vernacular Gothic Style Revival architecture.