St. Matthew On-the-Plains Anglican Church
126 Plains Road East Burlington, ON L7T 2C3
About the site:
St. Matthew on-the-Plains Anglican Church began in 1849 in the homes of local pioneers. In 1861 land was donated for the construction of what became known as the “little white church”. Various additions and renovations were made to the original church, including the present parish hall. In 1966 a new church was constructed, with the parish hall being retained. In 2004 funds were raised to renovate the church and erect a new addition. The grounds include a cemetery dating back to the 19th century and a quiet garden dedicated in 2006. There are several stained glass windows in the church and a number of pictures and artifacts on display, including the original keys.