1001 Plains Road East Burlington, ON
About the site:
In 1848 a number of pioneer families established the Union Burying Ground on farm land owned by Asahel Davis. The founders were Methodists who wanted a burying ground separate from those established by the Anglican Church at St Luke’s and St John’s. The chief architectural feature is the fine brick wall surrounding the 138-by 104-foot burying ground. The wall was built c.1882 by the brick mason Jabez Bent. There are also fine wrought iron gates at the front and side. The memorial markers commemorate some of the earliest Loyalist families important to the early growth and prosperity of Nelson Township and the village of Wellington Square. Today, their descendants manage and maintain the Heritage designated grounds.